View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #330
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post

by the way actual amp hour capacity on LFX18 is about 4.5 AH depending on how it's measured. an 8 cell LiFePO4 26650 cylindrical has about 4.6AH actual. battery mfg including Shorai and Earth-X wildly inflate amp hour ratings. Earth-X seems to outperform Shorai for cranking performance on smaller sizes. both Earth-X ETX36 and Shorai LFX36 have outstanding cranking performance and good amp hour reserves. hard data a few pages back will verify above statements.

I sure don't doubt you know what you write of. Hard data is great, which is why I value empirical evidence so much. Either it works or it doesn't. I understand your perpective on the big battery recommendation as a fail-safe, but you never can really prepare for everything. Prepare the best you can within reason and figure out a way to handle it when a situation arises.

You mentioned bad gas. That happened to me in the middle of Big Bend. Drained the tanks a bit, completely drained the float bowls, and the bike started right up. That was with my tiny 8 cell battery too.

Heck, as light as these batteries are, throw an extra in your bags or your pack if you feel the need.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote