View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #1357
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidxr View Post
I'm trying to figure out how much extra gas I'm going to want to carry. I will be on a 525 EXC with a 3.1 gallon tank. Up here at 6000 plus feet my mileage really varies. I figure with jetting for the lower elevation that is going to change as well. What are you guys with similar bikes planing on for the rides?

Thanks...
hi skid, i see on the list a lot of PPs are bringing their small bikes. there are a lot of dirt roads/trails near the campground that are fun and some challenging.

we will need at least 2 volunteers who know the area very well to lead the small bikes. i could ask some people i know.

death valley is huge. to get to the other side, i will not ride my exc or any plated racing bike. if i do, i may need a new top end or a valve adjustment after i return to camp. of course, others have done it and don't mind doing it again. fuel range is another issue, especially those doing the big loop. my favorite route is furnace creek - west side - butte valley - the cabins - mengel - goler - ballarat. that's about 140 miles between gas stations, intermediate skills (may vary, depending on latest condition) and a full day of riding.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote