View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #21
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN PHENIX View Post
Alright, this is the part where I get you to sign the disclaimer.

The Ideal groover comes with a #4 head. I used #6 head and blades which makes a 3/8" wide cut. It's pretty easy to follow the Shinko Raven's angular tread lines - just don't cut deeper than the existing grooves. I thought about cutting a groove to zig zag down the middle but I decided I didn't want to compromise the tire's upright highway wear.
Yeah, I used to help out a flattracker. He was always cutting.

I mostly ride pavement, but, the issue is when I take off down dirt roads and double-track.

Quote:
Once I finished hacking on the Shinko Raven rear, I realized how much it resembles the Avon Distanzia which is available in 120/70/17 to fit the front of your 1050. I may do that next time too however, the Raven front is way cheap.
I've seen a 1050 with the Distanzia front and rear. The guy used a 160/60, which is nearly the same diameter as the 180/55. I'm a little concerned about rolling off the edge of a 160 on a 5.5" rim, on asphalt. IDK, just speculating.

Quote:
Grooved Shinko Front:
I was looking at some of their other offerings, for the front. I don't like any front tire with a circumferential groove down the center, as they seem to track grooves in the pavement.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote