View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post

Thsi stuff is always top notch. Can get it at any bike shop. However any patch that has feathered edges will do. Don't use the "big sheet of rubber cut your own", they don't work well.

More important than having a patch kit is knowing how to use it. My long time bicycle riding buddy who is a bike mechanic can not patch a tube to save his life. Other than following the basic instructions there are two key points.
-marking the hole well. Once defalted and loaded with goop you can not locate the hole easily and will off center or miss your patch.
-allow the rubber cement to dry before you apply the patch. You are not glueing but vulcanizing.

IMO a properly patched tube is jsut as strong as a new one.

If you rip a valve stem, there is no way to patch it.

+1 on the Rema patches, have been using them on bicycles for many years and have never had a properly applied one fail. One thing I have learned is to not bother to pull the clear sheeting off the back of the patch after it is applied as this will sometimes lift the edges of the patch...no real need to remove it and if I do at all I wait until the next time the tube is out. FWIW Rema sells bigger patches for MC, auto, and truck tubes too...

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote