View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #6662
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
Please take this in the spirit intended, but the quieter our bikes are the better it is for all of us. Most folks in town can't tell the difference between a Harley with open pipes vs. Dual Sport without an insert. They just hear a noisy moto. You should be able to look up the test info to see how you are doing. Some riders have also added a turn down on the pipe to bounce the sound off of the ground first to help dampen some of the noise. The exhaust sound from a big 4 stroke will also carry farther than a 2 smoker for example.
I am sure my SuperTrapp is not the quietest pipe option, but I keep the packing fresh and have played with the disks and found the compromise between quiet and performance I can live with. Like to know how that app works.
That's essentially what I'm trying to do. I want decent performance, but not overly loud. The factory insert, even after modifying it a little was very restrictive. I'm happy with the performance of it without the insert, but it's a bit loud. I have a friend of mine welding up a turn-down for it right now which should help a little, but if I need it quieter than that I'll make a custom insert (like the old re-packable Thumper Racing inserts).

If I had an extra $300 I'd throw down for an FMF Q4, but I don't have the money. When I got the bike it had a god-awful loud old Supertrapp IDS that fell apart in multiple pieces when I tried to repack it. Picked up the 600R muffler for $30 shipped to replace it.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is online now   Reply With Quote