View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #15572
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,796
First things first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
So then please enlighten us heathen newbies the proper procedure for starting a Tenere so as to assure it fires every time.

Just so you can tell me what I'm doing wrong, this is how I start all of the fuel injected bikes I have in the garage:

CBR1000 - turn the key on - wait for the fuel pump to stop - push the starter button. It fires right up.

Vstrom 1000 - turn the key on - wait for the fuel pump to stop - push the starter button. It fires right up.

WR250R - turn the key on - wait for the fuel pump to stop - push the starter button. It fires right up.

Tenere - turn the key on - wait for the fuel pump to stop - push the starter button. Ugh

If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me.

OK, first thing, let me ask you a couple of questions...

How are your throttle cables adjusted? Specifically, did you adjust the throttle cable to remove literally all the freeplay at the throttle grip?

Second, have you installed handlebar risers of any kind, and if so, which ones?

Yamaha sends these bikes with a fairly large amount of slack in the throttle cable and the grip, and I have found on a couple of other brand FI-equipped bikes that if folks adjust their throttle cables to literally have zero slack and virtually no freeplay in the throttle grip that they can often experience intermittent starting problems.

That'll get us started...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote