View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #15575
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,717
Nothing on the oem wiring has been relocated.

Some little tid-bits of information about me - I've been riding and wrenching on motorcycles for over 30 years. I started out with trail bikes, moved on to motocross bikes, back to trail bikes, and then got into competing in trials. The Tenere is my first "street" bike, but all those years riding and wrenching on dirtbikes has taught me a thing or two about bike setup and reliability. I do all of my own set up. I've *fixed* friend's bikes that have been set up by "professionals". You do not want to be in the middle of the woods and have something go wrong with your throttle cable, or your electrical system. All of my wiring is proper, tight, and secured. I've fixed many-a-bike on the side of the trail - but none of them were mine.

I understand that as you turn the bars closer to lock, the throttle cable tightens itself up. I check for these things. Full lock left, and full lock right. The throttle cable does not bind. I've checked it. I go over everything I know to go over on all of my bikes. They are in perfect working order. I am very particular about everything. I would not hesitate about jumping on any bike I own and taking off across the country with nothing more than an air pressure check. They are all ready-to-ride. Yes, even the Tenere. I've got 10k miles on it and it's only given me trouble those 3 times so far and it does eventually start, it's just annoying. I don't leave maintenance issues unresolved. I don't skimp on anything. If an issue arises, it gets fixed immediately. The right way. There is no duct tape or tie-wire involved.

That said, I am still open to hearing any and all theories as to why this thing acts up from time to time. If it is something I can fix, I'll fix it. If there is something I am doing wrong, I'll change it. I'm not above being wrong.
Krabill is online now   Reply With Quote