View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
Ranger Rob OP
Out and about...

Oddometer: 352
3 Guys, 8 Days and 4700km Bris to Bairnsdale VIC

Day 5 of the 8 day odyssey.

I slept like a log and was nice and ready for what today held for us...

It just happened that my KTM had eaten a set of rear brake pads on this trip. So, in order to not completely wreck the rear disk (more than the dickhead designers of the loosest floating disk in the world haven't already) it was a leisurely blat down the highway to Bairnsdale KTM for some pads.

$44.00 and 3 minutes of labour later we are good to go, after a quick stop to buy some waterproof pants that is!!
It's raining, and the temperatures are now decreasing....WTF Thank god for the "safety shop".

We took off with our newly acquired gear on and headed straight to Mt Hotham . We hadn't planned to come here but had taken a wrong turn and bam!!

Pete's DR650 had an issue with his sweet, home made bashplate. It was sorta falling off and rubbing the header pipe

Naturally, everything was red hot and that made it unpleasant for Pete to work on, but Shakey and I were OK

Did i mention that Pete's speedo was shit??? Well, just in case i didn't......... Pete's Trailtech Vapour is shit

Apart from the speedo issues, the bashplate issue and the number plate dissapearing issue, the DR ran like an absolute train all trip.
I own a DR650 and now realise that i hadn't given it enough credit up to now! These things are bloody great, albeit a little more harsh on your ass than the 990.

Back on track now after going back down from Mt Hotham.
We did some more fantastic dirt and even some good backroads.

It was heating-up again as we stopped for lunch (26degrees) so it was off with the extra layers.
A quick stop at Tallangatta to read the history of the old township and then onto the road that follows Lake Hume toward Jingellic. Great riding along here. Dirt to start and then back on the tar but all good. Nice views.

I was "in the mood" and led the last bit through to Jingellic. Fast, fun and lovely countryside.

The pub is great and offers free camping along the river. Top spot.

We were looking forward to some super special meals though after the food had been talked-up by all of the staff.
Unfortunately on this occasion the food was pretty well below par, and really expensive to boot!! Oh well. You can't have everything

See you in the morning!