View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #29
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
I agree with most of what Finn has to say about the Armas. The only thing I'd add is that it doesn't work as well in humidity. That is the killer. I was amazed how cool I was the first time I poured water down the sleeves and down the neck on my Armas. 80ish deg., and I was a little chilly cruising down the NJ turnpike last spring. The only problem is that it isn't a commuting solution, or one for being on/off the bike a lot, which I spend a lot of time doing. Thanks to that, I pretty much put it away until Fall, then I'm reminded just how damn good Rukka gear really is come Spring. If fit is important to the OP, it really just doesn't get much better, and it's not just for the thin Euro boys either. Some of us might have a bit of a beer belly and it still fits exceptionally

Agree also with the cold weather use in the Armas. Awesome. Mine is probably ready for a good wash and retreat as water doesn't bead up anymore, but I never get wet. Or cold. Liners are usually something I toss, preferring proper layers & heat. Not in this case, the Outlast liner really does work. I keep it in from around 55-75. Rukka armor doesn't get hard in the cold either, which is a plus in my book.

I got to try on the Stadler Companero (This is Stadler boys, not Touratech) at the NY bike show last weekend. It's definitely Rukka build quality and its a great design, but its hardly as revolutionary as folks want to believe it is. There are two 6'ish zippers on either side of the main zipper for zipping the outer on. Add a couple zippers to any mesh or heavily vented suit on earth and a waterproof outer to zip to it, and that's the basic concept. What you're really paying for is Stadler build quality, materials, 10 year warranty and of course goretex proshell.

I'm not sure the answer could be given online since everyone is different. Some like mesh. Some don't. some want complexity in design. Some don't. Some are fine with having one suit that excels in some areas, but not in others. they're all a compromise. The new Klim Adventure Rally suit is pretty impressive in materials. It looks to be 100% Armacor, with the exception of the huge superfabric panels. I mean, WOW! Pretty impressive. I don't know of any other suit on earth that uses Armacor as its primary fabric.
1971 Lambretta DL

levain screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 07:34 PM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote