View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,150
Great build thread! I'm in the process of slowly converting my SV650S into a bit more of an adventure/touring bike (though more so touring), so I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread for sure!

So far, I haven't done much as far as touring/adventure modifications go. I've mounted luggage (side cases and top case), some LED auxiliary lights, a DC charger, frame sliders (also for the purpose of protecting the radiator, though I'm not sure how much protection they'll actually provide), and a bunch of RAM mount stuff to hold GPS, phone, etc.

I just ordered everything I need to convert the dreadful clip-ons to handlebars, a Givi Touring Windscreen, the Buell pegs to lower 1", and I'll be having my seat redone by Spencer's Motorcycle Seats.

I put stiffer front springs in my stock forks (.90 kg/ml) with heavier fork oil (15 Wt) and replaced my rear shock with a ZX-14 shock. This setup is great for on the road for me (I'm 210lbs, plus the rear luggage), but it's less than ideal for bumpy roads. I've been seriously debating going the route you're going with new forks altogether. To be honest though, I don't know what I'm even looking for. If I do end up getting a longer set of forks, I may be interested in the dog bones.

I love your idea for a skid plate! I'm planning to do the Trans Taiga Road in Canada this summer (hopefully). It's a lot of gravel, but nothing difficult or technical. All I really want is something to protect against flying rocks. I've been trying to find a skid plate that can be easily adapted for an SV, but it seems there really are none, not even the ones for the Vstrom. This looks like a great solution!

Once I get the Buell pegs mounted and a few miles on them I'll let you know my thoughts on them.

EDIT: Also, thank you for the link to the 41mm forks list.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014

max384 screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 08:53 AM
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote