Thread: DR350 Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #14375
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post

I have a question. I have been spending more time off the road than on, finding that I love dirt and speed and occassionally a little air when I hit things just right. Everyone says my DR is not meant to be ridden like a trail bike, or jumped, or meant to handle and corner well going fast in a harsh trail environment.

I have been looking at buying an actual trail bike. I found a 2005 DRZ 250 but I have read a few reviews, and no matter how much I stare at it, It seems to look like my DR, minus the lights and mirrors.

My question is, is the DRZ a better bike for handling in the trails, single track and sandy pits, or is it basically going to be like riding my DR? If it is basically the same thing, then I might as well hold out for a different brand of trail bike, thought I was hoping to be a Suzuki rider.

Any input from people who have been doing this alot longer than me would be very much appreciated.

I can't say I've been riding "a lot longer" as I hadn't ridden since college (read 1980's). In 2004, I bought a Yamaha TW200 (after researching bikes for about 6 months) and ended up putting 10,000 miles on it before I found I needed a different bike. I again did a ton of research and it came down to the only bike I wanted was a DR350SE. I bought it in 2010 and have added about 8,000 miles to it. Spring 2011 I knew I needed something more road worthy and added a V-Strom 650 to the DR. Things happened and I've only put about 4,000 miles on that so far.

I get the "different bike itch" from time to time. I also think about a more tight trail worthy bike. Light and flickable. Something with some real punch when you hit the throttle and a suspension that can really absorb riding at speed. I'm always on a tight budget so Orange is out. In my research I've come upon lots of feedback that really makes me want to ride a KDX200. Cheap to purchase used, the snap of a 2-stroke. Yet everything I read tells me it still has low end torque and a much smoother powerband than any other 2-smoke. Decent suspension and I see them selling all the time in the Northwest for 1,000-1,500 bucks. I even saw one that someone had gotten plated in WA.

However, for me, I would get killed if I brought another bike home (the TW is long gone) and I don't want to part with either of my bikes. Also I don't want to trailer my bikes to ride them, that makes a short afternoon "quickie" into a much longer ordeal.

I think the answer for me will be to do some suspension work in the DR, add a 385 kit and have Jesse modify the muffler. I'd go pumper carb but I ride long distances through the desert and fuel range is a real issue. To me that's much cheaper than adding another bike and I really love my DR.

Certainly not an expert, but that's my $ .02.

Tim
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote