View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #343
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster View Post
I actually have a stationary buffing wheel in storage somewhere. You think this will make a difference, eh?

Hey, meteorite! Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that there are people out there enjoying this thread as much as I am.

As for your project, just get into it! Ebrabaek has made a carbon/kevlar bashplate for his F800 that turned out awesome. Check out the build thread here.

If you have any specific questions let me know, or leat ebrabaek. We would both love to help you off to a great start.
Absolutely it will. You see the speed of the wheel ( not too fast and then creating heat) will with the same polishing compound make a satin finish that you got, into a show room high gloss finish. Anytime I make a mould, after 2000 wet sanding, I will buff the piece, as you experienced unless the mould is very high gloss, any imperfections will carry through, and also make for a bit more difficult release. A few things though. Light pressure, so as not to heat up the piece, and watch out for the buffer NOT to catch and grab and through the piece across the room. Rubbing compound is too course, but any polishing compound....turtle wax green box, white stuff inside, is good, But I prefer the 3M stuff from the automotive store. On another note, it is great to see you mess with the infusion, but my biggest advise to you at this point, is to get your vacuum chamber going. You will really benefit from degassing the stuff. Great job as usual...

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote