View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #20149
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Even though we had a WTF moment before it ever hit the garage, the old girl is now chilling out in a 25 degree garage. (Side stand switch --- amazing what a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing will do).

I know it's not the "Kawasaki Way", but I do need to polish her up. She's been away from a bath and a detail for awhile. And of course, the farkling needs to begin in earnest.

I took a short spin just now. It's quite a different ride from the GS. Or any other bike I've had, for that matter. Really dives left/right on slow speed turns. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's not an easy bike to handle when creeping. :-/

Now ... to keep from going back out to the garage and tinkering ... :-)
That's a common malady on those bikes when the temps get waaay down. A little moisture gets up in the switch, it freezes, and the plunger sticks or gets sluggish.

Every so often I'll slip a WD40 tube up inside the bellows and give it a quick shot. Of course, you have to stand on your head to even see the switch, let alone do the deed.

Another trick is to just allow the bike to sit and idle for a spell. Heat from the pipes usually thaw things out in short order.

And congrats!! I think you'll enjoy it.