View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #1543
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post
question for RC home builders. I am in the process of making a RC ground effect boat. Using styrofoam and epoxy. I was going to cover it with fiberglass or other fabric. What is a good type/ weight of cloth to use. The model is about 1/4 scale. It will be powered by a weedeater type motor. its 5 ft. wide and will be about 5-6ft long nose to tail. I built sail boats and small speed boats with foam and fiberglass before, but i just used what ever stuff i had lying around left over from a real boat project, so i know they where pretty heavy for a rc craft. I want to keep this " boat" as light as possable but also dont want to spend to much money as its a experiment and may not work.

Another question for the plane guys, the wing area is about 1450 sqr inches. I will be using a stock 35 cc weed eater motor with a pusher prop. I think a 16" three blade will work. They seem cheap enough so i was going to try a few differnt pitch and dia. Can any body recomend a starting point for props size.

thanks

Sounds like a really cool project, but we're going to need to see some pictures to really help.

Seems like a 16" prop would be as good a place to start as any. Probably no more than 6-8" pitch or you'll just bog down the motor. And idea what RPM it runs?

And is there some special reason to go with a 3 blade prop? No reason not to, just that there are lots more sizes available with 2-bladers.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
2003 Hon CRF450R
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote