View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 03:17 AM   #22
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,564
It's been in the teens the past week or so. It was 9 degrees the other night.

Now the new ride is a naked FZ6, so it's MUCH MUCH colder on that than it used to be on my two wheeled heater, the Concours. On the concours I could ride in a few less layers in these temps and I was just fine.

I've been out every night, sometimes out for a few hrs on the highway. Here are the combinations I have tried over the last few days.

First layer
Rev'IT! compression shirt, I'll look up what model
OR silk shirt
OR outlast long sleeved shirt

Second layer
Outlast long sleeved shirt (only over the silk shirt, too hot w the Rev'IT!)
OR Subzero, level 2 long sleeved turtle neck from BMG (never over the outlast)

[sometimes I may wear a cheap walmart brand compression shirt over the two above to tighten things up a bit]

Third layer, only UNDER 10 degrees AND at night, never over 10 or in the sun.
wool sweater
OR Aerostich Fleece
OR Subzero, level 2 long sleeved turtle neck from BMG
OR USMC expedition fleece

Jacket
Darien with liner
Pro
-waterproof (but not windproof)
-large pockets allow you to get stuff with gloves on
Cons
-It doesn't feel as windproof as it should be
-The liner (or even without) it "feels" cold.
-raised arour allows cold air to circulate (when not wearing the liner)

Moto Guzzi Grand raid jacket
Pro
-Looks good off the bike
-outlast liner is very thin and warm
-seperate waterproof drop liner is thick, windproof and waterproof
-Armour feels very secure and the jacket gives me a "safer" feeling
-tall, soft fuzzy and cozy collar=very warm neck
Cons
-outer shell doesn't bead water as it used to, but still does better than most
-Can't wear as many turtle necks under it due to the collar. However I only wear one under this particular jacket anyway. (subzero)
- I wish there was a zipper on the end of the sleeves to make putting gloves under them easier, however half of the wrist is stretchy so you can just grab it and pull it over your gloves. This is only an issue with THICK gloves.

Roadgear Oregon Trail jacket
Pro
-Thick leather is very windproof
-Looks great off the bike
-Lots of pockets
-nice tall corduroy collar
-leather outer will insulate better than any nylon\cordura outer layer
Cons
-Not all day rain waterproof

Gloves were a pair of EXO2 heated gloves NOT PLUGGED IN
I alternated between that and a pair of BSX welding gloves
I also have a pair of thick and warm Belstaff insulated gloves, now if I could only remember who I lent them too.....

On my head\face I alternated between
a schampa (thick fleece on the neck, thin part on top of the head).
An Aerostich Wind triangle. I have 3 or 4 different kinds, I wear the fleece one.
I used to wear a cyclone or typhoon buff, but i lent it to someone....and they stole it.

On my legs I alternate between these 3

Olympia Ranger 2 pants with it's liner
Pros -
Warm
waterproof OUTER
liner is slick and insulated and has it's own pockets and can be worn on their own.
Full side zip.
Fit over boots (Gearne Balance Oiled, Aerostich CBT)

Cons -
the liner is made of nylon taffetta. It's slick and slippery which is good, but it is not "warm" feeling against your skin. So it takes a while to be warm. It also will cause you to sweat once you get off the bike or are hanging out inside where someone has turned the heat way up. Thankfully I only ride in these temps to places where I'll be taking my pants off.

Darien pants with TLtec2 fleece pants
Pro -
They look like normal pants, which in these temps is good since I do not need to take off any over pants.
TLtec fleece liner feelse nice, except for the cold zipper touching your bare skin. As well as the hard velcro tabs.
Cons -
I feel like the pants are not as windproof as something with goretex should be.
The thick armour keeps the pants off your skin, causing cold air to circulate. Even Aerostichj tells you to remove the armour in cold weather.....
Without a liner the goretex feels cold against your skin, but then again most people wear these as over pants.

Icon Barrier jeans.
Pro
One pair of pants with 4 layers, FOUR LAYERS.
Layer 1 is 100wt fleece, feels nice and warm as soon as you put em on.
Layer 2 is Kevlar\Aramid in strategic places
Layer 3 is a windproof waterproof layer, not sure what it is but it is a thick rubbery feel to it (I know this because I have another pair that's been torn up working under bikes)
Layer 4 is the denim.
On the outside of the knees is a second layer of denim with another layer of Aramid\Kevlar between the two, which gives you some extra wind protection on your knees.

Cons
No real armour to speak of.
Since the outside layer is denim it will soak and get heavy in the wet. However that is generally not a problem in these temps.

Been trying a few different socks lately.
Wigwam outlast socks - nice, thick cushion, warm, I've worn these for up to a week at a time without them stinking.
North Face outlast socks - These I do not like so much, the material feels cold
Thick wool socks, these I like the best, as evidenced by the big wear holes on the bottom. I sometimes wear these over thin dress shoe outlast socks.

Boots
Usually Gearne Balance Oiled
Pro
-3 clips make putting them on and taking them off a cinch.
- truly waterproof

Cons
- That small velcro tab on top gets caught on my socks or pants all the time, causing wear on those items.
- I feel like I sweat more in these.
sometimes Aerostich CBT lights
Pros
- They look like normal boots (so did the Gearne, until the left toe turned black)
- Waterproof, but not claimed to be
cons
- Not really waterproof, but unless you're standing in a puddle for a while they should be just fine.
- I hate the speed lace crap and all that velcro.
other times my Vendramini Marathon Steels.
Pro
- Lighter and thinner than the two above
- waterproof\windproof
- super comfortable, like an old pair of sneakers
Cons
- May not be as protective as say the Gearne, but that's based on nothing more than the physical size and thickness
- Velcro closure (in addition to two super cool ratcheting closures)
- depending on the pants you wear, the shorter boot might let more wind up your pants.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote