View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 AM   #1253
skorpioskorpio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78_XL125 View Post
Thanks for the info! Where did you get the adjustable fork caps? Are they a standard size made for newer models? What material do you use for the fork spring spacer? Thanks again!
The fork caps on early XL250s and 350s are the same as CB750s, the caps add about 3/4" of preload over stock caps. The caps are a custom milled CNC item from ttr400.com in South Africa. The springs I use are S&W progressive springs for a 74-75 XL350 but I use them in a 72 XL fork tube which is about a half an inch shorter than the 350 tubes. But again this is not necessarily relevant to the 125. I also use taper bearings in the steering head, and a modular fork brace from Tarozzi. As far as a simple preload spacer, there is a whole host of materials you could make them from, aluminum rod, black iron pipe, brass or bronze rod. Black iron pipe is probably the cheapest and easiest, bronze probably the best as it will saturate with the fork oil and let the spring spin easier when it compresses, especially if it happens to bind. Rod is just about any material is available from McMaster.com under RawMaterials/Metals.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote