View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,082
Thumb Improved heated grip installation

Here is an idea I had for a better heated grip installation.

The goal was to have better heat output and have a heated grip that was removable in case any work required removing the handlebars.

STEP-1

Get a set of ODI locking grips and two sets of your favorite grips, plus a set of ATV grip heaters.

It's important that you get ATV heaters and not Moto heaters because the ATV version has the same size/type heating element on both sides, versus the Moto version that has a different element for the clutch and throttle side.

STEP-2

Peel the existing grips off the ODI locking grips. This is a bit difficult to do, but the grips come off w/ a bit of effort:

STEP-3

Install heating element on stripped ODI grip:

I like to use a bit of electrical tape over the element to fix it in place and to protect the wiring where it enters the heating element:

STEP-4

Install the two new throttle side grips over the two ODI locking grips. This takes a bit of effort on the clutch side since the locking grip has a wider section you have to work the grip over.

I heated my grips in very hot water to soften them up before installation.

Simply slide the locking grips on the handlebars, tighten the allen head screws and you are set to go.