View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #601
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
Giant Loop looks like a nice tight package but I question how easy it is to get to stuff. I just remember how much of my day was involved with doing and undoing tarp straps on the first leg of the trip (drybags count as soft luggage right?), and I will skip that again if possible.
I'm not a Giant Loop fan. Suited more for dirt bikes who go out for a few days. And digging into them? Really hard to find what you need.

The DR is plenty capable of carrying regular saddlebags. If properly mounted ... they work great for me and never move. Dry bags are great too. Packing and organizing how things go in the bike is an Art I'm still learning. I like these bags for Long Range Travel on the DR. A bit small ... and I've now upgraded. Good bags have compartments for helping organize and ease access.

I now have these same Nelson-Rigg panniers ... (this is not my bike). These are big enough for everything. Or you could go smaller like the above tourmaster bags shown on my bike. The Nelson-Rigg I found here in Flea Market for $100 ... near new.
Choices Choices!
Quote:
WD40 I have heard can have some negative effect on the o-rings, which is why I use kerosene when I can.
Odorless Kero is the way ... BTW, I've used WD40 on chains for over 20 years ... I get 25,000 miles on my DR chain. (DID VM-2) WD does not harm O rings. Myth.

No reason to be overly paranoid in Mexico ... just sensible. When the Mama- cita invites you home ... you are safe.

Quote:
Any particular bakery delights you'd suggest I try?
Just start trying stuff. Trata uno, hay muchos ... me gusta Orejas.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote