The teardown continues, sure does come apart faster than the "real" bikes do. And it takes up a hell of a lot less space than the XR 500 did that I just finished!
Not finding too much rust, mostly just some spots on the surface, I'll know more when I get a look at the bottom.
The plan has always been to keep the original motor, I never had a problem with it back in the day, I checked the dipstick today and it had nice clean oil on it and it kickes over nicely.
I think anybody that every had one of these as a kid has tales of how much abuse they will take. I remember using it once helping my dad clear out a bunch of trees from the back acreage dragging out 60 odd pounds of tree cuttings at a time with it, I had to practically sit on the handlebars to keep the front end down because we just tied a rope to the luggage rack. It made a great tractor to use in tight spaces. Not to mention the general daily abuse that a pre-teen boy can do to a dirtbike.
Muffler must have made contact at some point.
Growing pile of parts.
Other then grimey, the motor seems to be in good shape.