View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #62
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRat View Post
I'm bumping this thread because I need a temporary puncture repair kit for tubeless tyres.

Given that its purpose will be to let me finish the ride and then replace the tyre, I'm currently tending towards string type repair kits.

Questions:

Any more experiences with StopNGo?

String repairs - insertion tool with slot at tip and no twist to release vs. insertion tool with slot in mid section and twist to release string?

With strings, to use glue or not (kits seem split 50/50)?

Best CO2 inflator (no room for electric pump.)

Thanks in advance y'all.
Check the threads, plenty of them. There seem to be more happy customers who've used strings and quite a few who've found Stop'n'go to be Stop'n'stop again.

With strings you need to make sure you get the strings a long way inside and trim off the bit hanging out so it doesn't get dragged out against the road.

Glue, get used to not using it, it'll be all dried up when you need it anyway :)

You need a good T handle with strong working parts, a steel belted tyre is quite hard to get the tools through in the first place, and it can take a LOT of force to jam the string in. I've always used the half twist type tools but looking at the strings in old tires I've never seen no steenkin twist anyway.

Inflator, CO2 is not a good choice, you never have enough CO2 to get decent pressure. If you do go that way, buy a small double action pushbike pump, tape around the working bits to keep dirt out and strap it to the frame somewhere - you'll almost certainly need it.

I don't think there's much point overanalyzing this, but I would recommend that just before you change the next tire that you get a hammer , stick a few nails into the EOL rear and practice. You'll soon find the problems with your tools and technique that way and you can check your work when the old tyre gets pulled off. It's a LOT easier fixing a flat in the rain and ankle deep in mud if you've already done it in the comfort of your own garage.

Luck
Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote