View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
c-m OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
In terms of maintenance I can do many things myself. I had to strip and rebuild my carbs by the side of the road on my way to Split in Croatia. Fault find after the camshaft sensor failed on my ZX9R in Vienna. I've also experience with checking and adjusting valve clearences, and switching chains and sprockets etc..

I tend not to do my own work when at home though as my bike lives in the street so I don't have anywhere I can work.

Well all the bikes I like are far too new and far too expensive, so I need some older cheaper alternatives.

Additionally they're not really off road bikes, which is fine, as long as they can handle the odd off highway experience.

Things like the Multistrada 1200, KTM 990 SMT would be my favourites. Of course they are road bias, with 17" wheels. Though Continental now do TCK80 in 120 and 180 section sizes, which helps. Tiger 800 is another one (way over my budget), again it's not light, but I like it, and coming from an Aprilia, the huge generator would be a bonus.

I've had a look at the DL650 but after the bikes I've had I can't imagine having that little power two-up. Plus it actually weighs the same as my current bike (which i'd adapt if it wasn't for the poor fuel range).

Obviously I'll have to make compromises, so I'm just curious what alternatives I should be looking at?
c-m is offline   Reply With Quote