View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #15639
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
I just purchased a new 13 roadie last week. I have noticed the suspension seems kinda harsh. Weather has only permitted me to get about 50 miles so far. So I am wondering, will it break in and soften up some? I test rode the XC also but didn't get off road with it so I didn't really notice the difference between the two on the street. Of course I only have a very few limited miles riding both. Has anyone performed a suspension upgrade on a roadie? What are the options for the front? Or should I just plan on keeping this bike on hard packed graded roads? This is my first bike that is dirt oriented and I have very limited experience on two wheels off road. I run Elka suspension on my quads and have experience setting them up for off road but zero experience with forks or road/off road bike suspension.
I found my roadie did loosen up a bit. It's still not where I want it to be, but is tolerable. A guy on one of the Tiger boards said he replaced the fork oil (reputed to be 10w) with thinner 5w and then adjusted the oil level to give it a soft ride, and again, he claimed, it made the forks work really well. I haven't tried it or could his claim be veriified by other posters, but it does make sense and in theory should work.