View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #2016
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd View Post
I have not read through all 130 plus pages of this thread so please excuse me if I'm making a stupid statement thats already been covered but I'm a little confused over the excitement of this new engine, we surly realise that the existing Vmax already has a slightly larger capacity V4 in a considerably more advanced design producing quite a lot more horsepower whilst still producing the same torque and my guess is that it is probably also a lighter engine gearbox unit than the Motus as well.
If on the other hand people are excited to see a large capacity V4 in a sports tourer then I agree entirely
In general I'm curious as to how people compare the V4 in the Motus to the V4 in the Vmax
Using V-max as a baseline- the Motus should handle WAY better, not feel like a brick, lighter, has actual range, comfortable for that range. Not sure how the v-max is considerably more advanced as it is based on 1985 cycle tech and not all that changed since that day. There are 'advancements' in engine tech since the pushrod days, but that doesn't mean the engine is low tech for the Motus.

The Vmax HP numbers are shy of the targets Motus has published by a lot, so I'm not sure about the 'a lot more horsepower' part.
I doubt the v-max mill is lighter than the Motus by much, but time will tell.
530 wet weight and 6 gal of fuel for the Motus, 630 wet weight, 4 gal of fuel for the v-max.
The v-max motor in a sports tour? That would be interesting, but I think the current I4 FJR is where Yamaha will stay.