View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #4451
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
Modern cars have an "awfull amount of electronics" compared to the past and yet they have become much more reliable and maintenance free so I don't know why the electronics are being seen as "ready to break". I still play around with old bikes and can't see them as having the edge with reliability.
You are right ... Cars have electronics that's, at least for some models, reasonably reliable. Just a matter of part selection ... They solved many problems in the 80s when they started to use grease and sealed connectors. But if you have ABS on your car, chances are that it does not work anymore at 100K miles ... Sensor this, sensor that, bla bla bla. And when you see the $1500 repair quote, you just tell yourself WTF ??? And leave it as is and live without it. And realise how useless that very expensive electronic was.

But there are variables to be considered here: volume. It's one thing to still have problems with a car produced at a pace of 1 million a year, It's another with a bike produced at a pace of few thousands yearly.

Besides fuel injection, I do not see any real benefit that electronics have brought to a 1200GS in the last decade. It brought just problems.

Paul Jr

Gros Buck screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 05:25 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote