View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #135
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
The specs of the new tiger sport engine I think match the Sprint GT specs. But it sounds like BS to me. It sounds a little strange for a company to have that large of an overstock of engines. They would just build out existing models. After nixing the Sprint GT and the Tiger 1050, both of which would now be overlaping other models, this put a perfect in the middle replacement. If anything happens to my GT, I'm hoping this Tiger is already stateside.
When the 955 motor rolled out, the 885 inventory was mostly "used up" in the Tiger for a few more years.

When the 1050 motor rolled out in '05, the 955 inventory was mostly "used up" in the Tiger for a couple more years.

See a pattern?

A little research and a lot of anecdotal evidence indicates the Tiger 1050 pretty much sold like crap in North America, and there are still new stock 2010 and 2011 models floating around out there.

On the other hand, the Tiger 1050 did a bit better than OK sales in the UK (which likes "standard" bikes much better than North America, since for many it's not a summer hobby, it's year-round basic transportation) and the Tiger 1050 also sold moderately well in Europe.

Just simple economics, US dealers really don't WANT more Tiger 1050's (or Sprints), as they can't sell the ones they have already, and the ones they did sell were often sold at cost, usually with significant "help" from Triumph in the form of rebates or accessory credits, which doesn't really help Triumph out at all. So why export a model to the US that won't sell here?
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote