View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Found a cool area just south of Wellton...

This thing was built by boy scouts if I remember right.

Now, what could be in here...

Didn't see that coming.

We checked out a rock water tank...

Here's me...defying death as usual...

Southward on... to the Betty Lee Mine area...

First we looked for the Betty Lee tank for a while until we realized we had passed it...It was more like a small cave that happens to fill with water. It looks like there have been some "enhancements" added to help it gather more water.

There was a medallion in the rock that said this is a bighorn sheep area. This was supposed to be a picture of a swarm of bees that were using the water too.

Now this was cool...

It looked like a Fred Flintsone house. I couldn't find any tool marks. I think it was natural but I've never seen anything like it.

These are all in the Betty Lee mine area...

foot for scale..

Alan, for scale... I guess he's not a vampire after all...

That's a lot of cans..

This shaft looked interesting...

We were curious how deep the was so we dropped a rock down it and counted. We got to seven Mississippi. After some rather complex math we finally calculated it to REALLY FREAKING DEEP!

This sign doesn't look like much but let me explain...

After leaving the Betty Lee area we crossed Mowhawk drag. It was just being dragged so it was pretty amazing riding. Fast and smooth. Then we turned south onto Christmas Pass rd. And so began about two hours of wrestling the bike down one of the worst roads ever. It was about six feet wide and sunk about two feet below the surrounding desert floor. The surface was soft deep sand. REALLY soft. REALLY deep. There were two truck ruts each about a foot deep and a few inches wide. The center of the road was dome shaped so you have to stay in the ruts. Now, the ruts are each about a foot from the wall and the brush hangs out about two feet from the wall. So, you try to maintain the intense focus required to stay in the narrow rut while riding fast enough to stay on top of the sand at the same time getting continuously whacked by passing brush.

Oh yeah the sign.. It was a sign of victory after conquering the road. North of this sign was a nightmare. South of it was nice riding. At least until we got back onto the Diablo...Once again I finished the ride thinking I'll never come back. Will I be back? You bet. This place is like a different planet. For me, I ride right up to my breaking point and just when I want to throw in the towel and go home I round a corner and see something amazing.

Xskydiver screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 08:37 PM Reason: Spelling
Xskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote