View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #52
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
buenos aires, argentina to gualeguaychú, argentina

firstly, sorry for the lack of interesting pictures. i keep forgetting to take them, because i'm usually too into whatever i'm doing to remember to take them. secondly, it's late and right now this post feel more like a chore than anything else. so prepare for some uninspired writing...

i wish i could have stayed longer in buenos aires. it's a fascinating city. i would like to return for a longer period of time. i could see myself living there.

on my final day, i did a parilla tour, which was a good way to let someone else steer the ship to give myself a break for a few hours. with a group of 9 people, we walked around to some off-the-beaten-path local parillas.

parilla tour, buenos aires, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

parilla tour, buenos aires, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

that evening, i took a tour of the palacio barolo. from wikipedia:

The Palacio Barolo was designed in accordance with the cosmology of Dante's Divine Comedy, motivated by the architect's admiration for Alighieri. There are 22 floors, divided into three "sections". The basement and ground floor represent hell, floors 1-14 are the purgatory, and 15-22 represent heaven. The building is 100 meters (328 feet) tall, one meter for each canto of the Divine Comedy. The lighthouse at the top of the building can be seen all the way in Montevideo, Uruguay. When completed in 1923 it was the tallest building, not only in the city, but also in the whole of South America.

palacio barolo, buenos aires, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

view of congress from palacio barolo, buenos aires, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

view of city from palacio barolo, buenos aires, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

tour guide on top of palacio barolo, buenos aires, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

searchlight on top of palacio barolo, buenos aires, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

after the tour, it was off to one of the best hunks of cow i've ever put in my mouth at la brigada, a place known to host the likes of famous soccer players, bono, etc. i was joined for dinner by denise, an argentine who went to college in virginia with my cousin, and her friend tim, an american from north of san francisco vacationing in buenos aires as he has for many years. great company and great conversation.

la brigada restaurant, san telmo, buenos aires, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

bar circa 1889, san telmo, palacio barolo, buenos aires, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

while traffic was lighter on sunday, i drove north out of the city toward gualeguaychú, argentina. it's on the border with uruguay, and has the first available land crossing over the very large river that separates argentina and buenos aires from uruguay. you can take a 1-hour or a 3-hour ferry, but why would you do that when you have a super fast sexy motorcycle.

gualeguaychú is also the location for argentina's carnival celebrations, and a party destination for summering argentines. it was a bit more than i expected when i arrived, with river beachs packed solid as far as the eye could see. i crossed a bridge over to the more mellow side, where i found a cabana on the river shore for about 50.00 USD. i stepped out of my door onto a calm beach resort where there was a reggae band playing jimmy cliff and bob marley songs. i grabbed a quilmes beer and chilled out after a long day on the bike.

farewell for now argentina - see you in a few weeks when i get back from brazil.

argentine flag, buenos aires, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote