View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #28428
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasKLRider View Post
Dead easy- buy yourself 2 .30 caliber "mop" cleaning brushes. Pull the bolt out, soak one mop in soapy, hot water and run it through the bore 5 times. Rinse and repeat for 2-3 cycles. Use the other mop to dry the bore. Then switch to regular cleaning equipment- bronze brush, bore cleaner, patches, etc. Last off, make sure to oil it before you put it away.

BTW- you can use a heat gun to melt the inevitable cosmoline and then use brake cleaner to take off the remains. Just avoid getting the stock too wet with brake cleaner- it will melt the varnish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I do this a great deal....my way is even more simple if that is possible. Funnel, water pour.

All you are really tying to do is get the salts out of the bore....and make no mistake they do rust up quick....how quick you may ask. Go to range in the morning, shoot till 11 or so, go out to eat with the guys at the little country bisket and gravey place, get home and you have rust already...about 4 hours from last round to starting to clean the thing.

If you get into playing with these surplus guns....well surplus guns of all kinds that they can be all over the place. This one will shoot great....that one will shoot all over the paper....if it hits the paper 5 out of 5 times. It all depends on how Ivan took care of it during the war and how Olga packed it away.

You will have fun with it....I just love old military hardware.
Awesome, thanks. Doesn't sound nearly as hard as some make it out to be.

I bought this Remington cleaning stuff last night when I got the gun, I'm pretty sure it's just overpriced brake cleaner. It didn't do too terrible of a job getting stuff off though. I got it cleaned fairly well then sprayed it with Rem oil. I'm going to run a few rounds through it then tear it back down and clean again. Hopefully I got a good shooter, guess I'll find out.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with this thing. Too bad we can't rifle hunt deer in Ohio, this would be an interesting one to take hunting.

Thanks for that forum link also, I'm heading there now. Can't say I'm really 'into' these guns, just thought that it was a cool gun to own.

There were quite a few others, but I didn't feel I was educated enough to make a decision. 8mm Mousers mostly. This one was easy. I texted a friend that had one, he said buy it.

jules083 screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 05:48 AM
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote