View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #25
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Yep, sure did. I cut my own baseplate out of a scrap of 1/8" aluminum, not the thin stuff the ITG distributor sells. Works out better IMHO. Aluminum will never get brittle and shatter, never melt or deform with heat or chemical exposure, etc... Hard part was getting some custom grommets made to fix it tight and secure to the carbs...one of the advantages of living in NASCAR country is that there's always a resource that does weird stuff like that. Even paying to get a bag of those made, I came out far cheaper than what these guys nail a 950 rider for a freaking air filter. Its just an air filter! The one on my Mercedes truck only costs $38 for crissakes?

I can send anyone a template and a few grommets, along with jetting instructions that will make it purr from sea level to 14,000 feet, a good source for dzus clips and connectors along with a source in the UK to order the filter cheaply.
SW, thanks- I may take you up on the template, but I'm going to have to think about just making a filter holder for a simpler, cheaper filter, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have a $6 paper filter on there that could be easily swapped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I've been interested in this filter and reading about this issue it seems that the solution to this could have been quickly handled to satisfaction if the OP had first contacted the manufacturer.

First off I find it challenging to take seriously a "40 year Automotive Master Tech" who also seems to have an attitude of, "If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway." (tongue in cheek here, don't get your feathers ruffled)

Secondly, rather than simply asking if anyone else has ever seen this, the OP could have been more resourceful than trying to paint the product and the OEM as the source of the problem before any attempt to resolve the issue with them directly.

On the other hand, I think that the CPR guy was trying to keep it light and was taken as being flippant. One of the hazards of being a normal guy learning the pitfalls of customer service. His point regarding how the OP brought his problem to the forum before contacting the manufacturer is illuminating, just the same.

If this filter was not lined up correctly on install, and the Dzus was forced, and the filter frame distorted over whatever amount of time it was held like this in a higher temp environment, then, I can see how the OP would need to do something to get everything back to its natural shape. However, I would think someone with this amount of automotive experience would know that the best way to accomplish this would be to remove everything, warm it up, line it up, then leave it in a box with a warm lamp for a while to return to its original shape. Rather than trying to clamp it in place at ambient temps and expect this to undo a deformation that happened over time at warmer temps.

In answer to the OP's question, the OEM rep and several other users of the product indicated that, yes, alignment is something that takes a little finesse, and, yes, taking a more ham-handed approach could result in a poor fit.
l
Jesus.
Some of us have admired Ronski's projects here for a few years- aux tanks, suspension rebuilds, etc. I don't know where you got the idea that he started off trying to smear the manufacturer, it looks like someone asking a question and trying to fix a leak in his air filter to me.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote