View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #3242
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,291
how to waterproof a 500?

My 500 has been a flawless replacement for my old 99 LC4 640e but it faces a real test this weekend. We have a ADV rally in the swamps of Florida - our 6th year and are sure to see some deep water. My old bike was a real swimmer and on the rare ocasion it floated I had a quick trail fix routine to dry it out and keep going. BQF 2013 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848162

I had a lot of pride knowing that only operator error would drowned my bike but not so sure about the new 500? I also have had as much fun watching the other bikes sink to the bottom or die mid river . You know that guy.

The air box on the LC4 was real tight (unlike the exc) and I would still tape it up just to make sure. It would breath from under seat. It had a removed snorkel and driller upper air box but I would button it up real good. As long as I had a bow wake I could forge water up to the tank using my legs to create a pocket of dry air in front of my lap.

Any tips to seal up an EXC? How will the EFI do if I block the lower parts of the air box? How about worst case - anyone drown one yet? and what did ya do to get it going? I'll bring an extra air filter as well as the little micron fuel filter but am looking for any other suggestions?

Colemanfu screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 03:40 PM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote