View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #32
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
So who's the killer coach in LA preferably without an insurance policy that's going to give me the real low down on a private multi day training ride(s) with camping, bike setup, navigation, control techniques. I'll put my money on his students any day...especially if I'm one of em .

Rawhide and the like = pamper group-ass for an entire weekend. Just shoot me in the head please. There's something just too 'midlife crisis" about a bunch of 50 year old noobs on BMW's trying to discover adventure that kinda reminds me of high school PE class - valuable knowledge imparted surely but equally sure there's a ton of bullshit related to lawyer and insurance company concerns. Hate that shit. I like the school that's more "shut up and ride" in style and less about pomp and babysitting. My driving coach would tell me in 10 seconds what I've heard in 100 words from group coaching.

6 years ago I started into car racing (Lotus Cup) by just getting a car and putting in the miles on trackdays. I fell in love, spent a truckload of cash, developed a few bad habits and got pretty fast. Then I took some private coaching and I kept putting in the miles. Three years later I won the class championship. Same thing the next year. All the while learning a little something and assimilating more every time I drove. Bottom line for me, it's private coaching at proper intervals and putting in the seat time. Some of the best tips I got from Skip Barber's book though, so nothing against the establishment. And there's definitely a lot of reading required. And then there are the videos - those helped too - very visual. And it's not like group lessons can hurt if you have the time and patience to cater to the lowest denominator at times (not that that wouldn't be me of course.)

Thanks for the tips!
Which Skip Barber book...he seems to be a race car driver...?
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote