View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 03:00 AM   #686
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,708
71 & Rugby:

Completed the repair. Learned a bit in the process. First and foremost - I don't like working on smartphones.

Fixed it, but think I'm going to redo it over the weekend. The screen and digitizer are held in strictly with two sided tape. I could have cleaned the old crap out better and one corner lifts slightly. Don't think it's going to fall out or anything. At least right away. But I don't want to worry about it down the line. I'm going to redo it while it's all fresh in my mind. Took me about 4 hours to follow a 45 minute (very good and detailed) video. I could probably do it in less than the 45 minutes second time around, plus whatever time it takes to clean the old goop out.

If anyone wants to tackle this themselves, beyond the tiny philips and torx screwdrivers you'll need, get a good Exacto knife and (not making this up) some medium and heavy guitar picks.

I spent ~$20 on the digitizer and 2mm two-sided tape. I've been told there are folks around town that will do this repair for ~$60 - parts and labor.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote