View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #90
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
This is probably an ignorant question, but can I ask why you couldn't just take a 690 frame and drop in an RFS engine? Or just use an RFS bike and strengthen the frame and subframe?
Hi Mike, I am sure JMo can....will explain this better but this project is to achieve a bulletproof, low maintenance incredibly strong motor that is within the 450 limit for participation in Dakar. By reducing the CC of the motor down to 450 you end up with a bottom end, valve train, clutch and gear box that was engineered for greater power/torque and is now working within only .......... (insert figure) percentage of its designed/proven capacity. The only possible penalty of this endeavour is the weight of building in all of this redundancy. Knowing that you shouldn't need anything more than a filter change every night, a change of oil every few days and a check of the valves on rest day would in my mind be more of a weight off my mind than an extra few kilos low down on the bike. A worthwile tradeoff I believe and I wish JMo all the best in nailing this project.
The other options you mentioned have been done to death previously and run a lot closer to their maximum designed serviceability (often beyond), hence requiring stupid amounts of maintenance and inevitably a number of spare engines for a 14 day event. Luis on his 150 two stroke is obviously at the exact opposite of this project but as painfully demonstrated for us all to follow and enjoy he has a finishers medal to show for his chosen solution to the hardest event on the planet. Luis on a 125 for Dakar '14?
CBVRacing. "The race (Dakar) is what it is, it is being offered to racers, if they chose to sign up they should know that there are only 5 outcomes at the end of the two weeks: Finish, Mechanical, Abandon, Injuries, Death."

barrier screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 06:04 AM
barrier is offline   Reply With Quote