View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #78
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Yep, you've got more years experience with the bike, more miles with the bike, and a VStrom to compare. My experience is very different than yours. I agree they are not in the same league as a KTM, Husky, GasGas or BMW. I would consider them in the same league as an XR650 though, and more of a "true dualsport" than most KTM, Husky, GasGas or BMW, which is the title of the thread.

I disgree with your Honda comment. The XR650 is MUCH more dirt worthy than the DR650 will ever be! I'm not much of a Honda fan, but if I was to buy a Jap Dual Sport in the 650 size again.. it would definitely be the Honda.

In my opinion, Suzuki should take the much loved (but really outdated) DR650 and make it more like the heavy Kawasaki KLR 650 which also has its 'cult' following. You know, bigger gas tank, lower to the ground, heavier than an ox - more pavement oriented still. I have buddies that own KLRs and weren't happy when Kawi went 'more street' with their latest DUAL SPORT design. I also find the guys that ride the KLRs/DRs(for the most part) don't ride offroad as much or as aggressively as the crowd riding KTMs, Husky, GasGas and Honda XR650s! As a TRUE dual sport the perfect bike should do both equally. True??? There is NO perfect 50/50 bike. So the way I view it - The KLR/DR crowd prefers mostly pavement/dirt road stuff and the KTM, Husky, Honda XR crowd prefers the mostly true offroad stuff!
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote