View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #1763
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
As far as I know, the bike and all engineering is owned by Speedbrain which is in turn, contracted to BMW Motorad. Husqvarna supplies the engines from Italy to the team in Germany. So in theory, Speedbrain just needs to find another 450 lump that fits in. I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to have Kymco revive a run of the 450 motors and then hand them over to the Speedbrain engineers for massaging.

I believe Husky's input is the motor supply so perhaps the impact to the team will be negligible aside from the motor issue.

The team and riders are aware of this news though.
That would make sense, but would the team be called BMW SpeedBrain again? And would BMW allow it / want exposure like that? (I doubt BMW will ever try and associate itsself with the Dakar again on 2 wheels, MInis are doing just fine )

So if BMW is out of the question, what do they do with the Kymco engines? Put Kymco on the livery? And for what return, in what market

Sounds like a nightmare scenario for Wolfgang

On the other hand, If Peirer lends support, or even contracts the whole team as a pure blood "Husqvarna" assault on the Dakar, they might be tempted to omit the "SpeedBrain" part of their moniker and come under the wings of a 100% Factory Husqvarna brand.

Interesting stuff