View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #167
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Even live tracking would be great, we are going to see it at many of the rally's this year and whilst there is a several minute delay it's still pretty good solution.

There can't be too much money involved if they do it through the year and having the public following some 3-5 minutes behind is hardly going to influence the rally, and if it does, well good luck to any competitive rider who could actually turn it into an advantage, personally I thing they would lose time trying
I assume Dakar pulled live tracking by design. In Africa, the route may have never crossed a road, or at least a road where a team could slip a spare wheel into the trunk of a taxi and have the taxi beat the riders to the crossing. Not saying that teams would actively cheat *ahem* however, in South America, I would suspect the top teams could leverage the actual route to their advantage. All of the riders carry phones now and if Hogwild and Bluebull can lay out the route without knowing it as closely as they could, imagine the teams texting a rider...at approximately km 265, you will see a hill with a river bed to the left. Stay to the right of the hill and go around that side...etc...

I know for a fact that many of the fast, position teens to 30th place riders are very frustrated at the lack of rule enforcement among the top guys. Things like speeding on the liaison that is ignored (riders getting pinged for 125kph in a 120kph only to have a leader blow by at 140kph +), assistance within the stage, etc... and the ASO has been selective with these events, severely penalizing the lower placed guys while the top ten guys are overlooked.

I would imagine that somehow, the route information would find it's way to the leaders.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote