View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #192
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I can hear the cackling of the monkeys in the background!! Yeah, not sure which I like less...Hitting rocks that I can see while I am falling but still don't have time to tuck and roll away from or running into a tree stump that is just deep enough under the sugar sand that you don't notice it until it smacks you in the ribs.
One of the guys in that pic got thrown down in a sugar sand swamp and broke a couple of ribs on a stump. Sand usually hurts a lot less in a crash. But what is in the sand .... not so much. Same guy broke his ankle in the same swamp a couple of years ago in one of those bottomless log skidder ruts at like zero miles per hour.

The flip side is a flat lander like me goes to the mountains the frist time and tries turning with the foot out fan the clutch "style" learned down south in sand. That was a painful lesson about rocks and toes. I have learned to switch back and forth between riding styles when I haul the bike back to the SC Sea Islands.

I can ride rocks now. No veteran of like ten Shenandoah 500's is going to be shy about rocks. But I am still a flat lander at heart. Still not sure which is harder on the bike though: rock rash or salt mud.