View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #5596
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
What can you tell me about the one with Antarctica on the dial?
Make, model, story behind it, if known?
I am intrigued.
I wondered if anyone would pick up on that one. Remember, you asked. That's the one that started my low budget collection. First, I dont know much about watches except I like em. Back in "90 I was approached by a guy I new from a local rental equipment company that asked me if I wanted to go to Antarctica. In about 2 seconds I said sure. He had sold a couple of skid steer loaders to a group that had a contract from the National Sience Foundation to go to Antarctica to do an invironmental clean up project. They need equipment opperators. I had a small auto repair shop at the time and no opperator experience, but I had a fair amount of cold weather experience. BTW I had no trouble at all running that CAT 963 track loader. I had done some winter camping and climbed some mountains including Mt. Mckinley in"84. So the Team leader flew into DFW to interview us and had us fill out applications. When he stepped out of the room, My buddy filled in all the equipment I was supposed to be able to opperate. We got the jobs, went through New Zeland to McMurdo and a few months into it a group of Russians came through McMurdo to catch their ship back home. This was about the time the USSR was breaking up and these guys hadn't been paid in a while so they set up a "mall" in the chow hall. They were willing to sell any thing they had including some of the tooling from there stations and the clothes off their backs. Any thing for American dollars. IIRC I bought the watch for $40. The Russians seem to be big on commemorative watches. This one looks to be a 25th anniversary of Russian Antarctic Exploration. The little red dots on the dial are the locations of their stations. Sorry, I don't know any more about the maker or any maker really, I hope some one here can tell us more.

Edit: I don't think any of mine are made in China, but they were inexpensive.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 07:07 PM
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote