Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #6028
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
I've had my eye on this tent.

http://www.rei.com/product/827912/bi...-spur-ul1-tent

I never backpack alone, always have wife and two labradors which is why I have the palace.

The trick to this minimalism is not to think "how much stuff can I get on this little bike" but "what can I do without."

Al
Good point regarding the "what I can do without" part.

I've refined my setup over the past couple of years - getting rid of stuff that simply doesn't work for me - while experimenting with other gear. Over time - you realize there are certain items you just can't live without and they become a mainstay in your setup. Obviously, what I can't live without is likely different from what others can't live without.

With my CBR125R - just like my other bikes - the focus for me is a great night's sleep while camping (I refuse to stay in motels). I've tried many variations. The one that consistently allows me to sleep like I am at home involves....

1) A camp-time roll-a-cot (only 10 lbs) with my Nemo Cosmo Air insulated mattress (packs small, is insulated, and the built-in foot pump allows me to inflate it in about 30 seconds) on top. And a thick, comfy, warm sleeping bag on top of the mattress. The cot allows me to place my helmet and other gear underneath it - to save space in the tent. And it is a real treat to get dressed while sitting on the edge of the cot - like a bed - in the morning. I often find myself over-sleeping with this setup - because it is just so damn comfortable and cozy - I don't want to get up. And it is always great to face another day of riding when you feel so fresh and rested.

2) A Nemo Moki single-walled tent. Quick to set up. Lightweight. Completely waterproof. Packs down very small. And I never ever have to fiddle around with a tent fly again (or lose it) - not to mention the extra time it takes to drape it over the tent and peg it down.

3) Ortlieb dry tailbag and saddles. I wish I would have purchased these the first time around. Now I never have to put on rain covers ever again. All my gear stays dry all the time. I'll never go back.

4) A waterproof Kriega US20 tankbag that I plan to try out this summer. However, the Icon Urban Tankbag has many pockets, holds all my maps and little items, and easily carries two large drinks and food for the day.

5) Ortlieb saddles that carry extra clothes, chain wax, tools, sandals, mp3 player with speakers, toiletry travel bag, and various other essentials. That's everything I need.

You can read about my recent trip here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813500&highlight=nanabijou

Nanabijou screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 09:00 AM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote