View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 AM   #619
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Question Way to carry your stuff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
The trade off is that your rear suspension setup is reliant on the weight of whatever is hanging off the shock, which would now include the "tongue" weight of the trailer. In the world of high performance unsprung weight is far worse than sprung weight, as it compromises the ability of the rear wheel to track over bumps because of added inertia. However subframes are usually not designed for the kind of loads discussed and move the weight higher up on the bike.

If I had the skills I would find a way to hook the trailer to the footpeg mounts. It keeps the weight sprung, at a low, central point on the bike, better bias the front/rear loading etc.

The trade off is this method would be slightly heavier, more complicated, and less flexible in terms of moving the mount from one bike to another,
I'm in complete agreement with you. In my opinion there should be a way to mount the hitch portion to the frame somewhere. I looked at the moto mule website. I like the idea of the single track but not keen on the axle mount. Need to rethink this for me a little. I've even seen a couple of the two wheeled trailers that looked pretty good but you now have to add some for width. I've pulled a two wheeled trailer with a bike before but it was a touring bike so you didn't really worry about the width or going in to a corner too hot and flipping the trailer. Has anybody ever made a regular hitch for the KLR or does this need to be invented too? I would just like to find some way to reduce the actual weight carried on the bike.