View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #55
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by norschweger View Post
Yes, it is a mist of gas.
Yes, there are done quite unprofessional things and no, it is one of the best mechanics that KTM has in Mexico (that is what the director of KTM Mexico said), 12 years experience with KTM, but obviously just one-cylinders.
The boss told me that they did not have the part of the manual where it is shown better how to set the "lower time"?!
Now they are waiting for the nice guy who wants to send the manual tomorrow...
I only ask myself why the mechanic thinks he does not need to lock the engine when adjusting the valves. I even took off the skidplate for him to reach the screw. I am looking forward to tomorrow but do not expect anything anymore. The shims that were in the engine I measured a diameter of 8mm.btw. I have the possibilty to get original ones in two days, ask Harley D.tomorrow or just leave the ones he "adjusted"with sandpaper...
Mist is normal as far as i know.

A mechanic for 12 years but he can't do a v-twin? He needs another servicemanual then the normal one for setting the TDC correct on the crank?
What is this in the 2nd picture? It's Top dead center on the front cilinder, turn the crank 75 degrees and u got TDC on the other cilinder.
A real mechanic looks for these kind of marks and lines em up without a manual....

If he does not lock the engine he's a tool, it takes only a small bit to screw up the measurement if it's lose. Lock the crank in place and the measurement wil be spot on.
(if he set the marks on the cam's correctly that is....)

I'd redo all what he did. As a matter of fact i would not want him to touch any of my bikes again from the moment i saw the things u mentioned happen.
I don't want to be a know-it-all or d..khead about this matter but i HATE paying incompetent people and even more hearing from people that are in trouble on a trip and are stuck with someone incompetent.
I'm not paying for mechanics ever again, i try to do my own crap. I might be a worse wrencher then allot of the certified guys but i'm still allot better off then getting incompetent ones that give me the same bill as the skilled ones.

Last time i got my superduke serviced my battery connection came lose....on a damn trackday! Before that i rode it home after the first service to find my whole backwheel covered in brakeoil....the cap came lose.... When i called the dealer he told me they did not touch my rear break reservoir. Kinda weird since inspecting brakes was on the checklist....

Katoom72 screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 05:12 PM
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote