View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #2124
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy View Post
Thanks Randy,

I was back at then dealer this morning and sat on both the 1200 custom and the 883. Gotta say I like the Iron better. Coming off sport bikes, and this being my first Harley/cruiserish (I think I just made up a new word) bike, the mids fell better, and more natural to me. Throw some highway pegs on to stretch out on long trips and I'll be good.

Ya, I have not heard one good thing about the Sporty suspension, or lack of. But I figure that's a pretty easy, fairly inexpensive fix.

Thanks again.
Yep, same here. I've always been a sport bike type, or at least a standard bike guy. Before the 48 my GS was the least sporty street bike I've ever owned. In fact, until just recently I just didn't get the whole H-D/cruiser thing at all.

The forwards just felt really weird to me. I decided I'd give a try and see if I could get used to em, so I left em on my bike for a bit. And yeah, I did get used to them, but that doesn't change the fact that they are an inferior set-up for really riding a bike. All of your weight is on your ass, my hips were rotated to a weird angle that just didn't feel right, the reach to the relatively low and forward bars on the 48 made me feel like I was folded up like a taco and didn't feel right to my back, shoulders or arms. Combine that with the poor suspension and the fact that your ass is planted with no way of standing to use your legs to absorb the bigger hits, and it was just a receipt for a bad experience. And then there is the whole control issue too. Of course I can say that because I'm fortunate to not have long legs or bad knees. Everyone's preoccupation with a low seat height really does limit the ergonomic options with the typical cruiser platform. And that's not even considering the typical cruiser rider's concern with "looking cool"...

But for me at least, the mids really help all of that. In fact, the crappy stock seat on the 48 and 72, that everyone bitches about is actually pretty comfortable once I swapped to the mids. Sorta like a Corbin or Sargent actually. Firm and sculpted into the "tractor" shape that fits my narrow ass pretty well. I do plan to add some highway pegs at some point just so I can shift positions occasionally, but I'll be selling the forward set-up since I can't ever see going back to it.

The suspension is a relative easy fix. Cost is relative to just how well you want it "fixed". There are some cheap options out there and some people are happy with them. Just depends on your expectations, and what you hope to achieve. I'm going with Ohlins and they aren't exactly "cheap". But for me they are worth the extra. I firmly believe that with suspension, like so many other things in life, you get what you pay for and I'm willing to spend more to get more.

Good luck getting the bike that suits your needs and getting it set up to your satisfaction.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote