View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #16
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I'm definitely due for a new one, but I just love this Toshiba. In it's day, it was a screamin' demon! Even now, it's a pretty nice machine.

I just stopped by the computer shop here in town, and I'm looking at $200 total to replace the screen (parts +labor) and that's not too bad. Seems worth it to me.

I'll probably do some online comparison shopping this weekend, looking at new laptops. I really don't want a new machine with Windows 8, though.

Hmm... decisions, decisions.
$200 seems like too much money, that's probably double the cost of what your laptop is worth in working condition.

I got a NEW 17" HP about 2 years ago and it was only $400 on Overstock, nice stainless skin (no mac but hey what do ya want for 1/3 the price) any way it was loaded up with 1GB Ram, 750GB HDD and a 2.xx Ghz AMD processor, ATI graphics, Blu-Ray, HDMI output blah blah anyway a hell of a package for <$500.

For $200 you could get an off lease Dell Latitude, which are damn good laptops. I've had them for 8 years at my Job and the first one worked like new even after 6 years. Oh yeah and if you get a new machine with Windows 8, it should be backwards compatible with Windows 7, you just have to download it and install it, you should be supplied a KEY that will work with 7 (I can't confirm this but I was just told that some new workstations we were buying at work came with 8 loaded but would have a 7 key supplied with them and we'd have to install 7 ourselves)

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote