View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #15817
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,718
Laugh Speaking of statistical probability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
To close on this, I did exactly as instructed, ran the bike for exactly sixty seconds three days ago and just went out and started it. It fired up immediately and ran normally without touching the throttle. And this is a bike which has had three previous "no start" episodes, all with none of the often-discussed contributing factors such as an interrupted previous start or cycling the ignition.

I guess I'm either an exceptional 1% who doesn't match the pattern, or else your 99% statistic is BS. I'll leave which is more likely as an exercise to the reader.

- Mark

Of course, we could consider another much more likely scenario for those "three previous 'no start'" episodes you had...

It was put this way by a poster in a thread on the Super Tenere forum:

"Without examining the bike, mechanical failure can't be ruled out, but it is MUCH less likely than simply (rider error, operator malfunction, rider losing control, etc.). The weakest link is typically the nut behind the handlebar."

Given that you've had probably hundreds and hundreds of starting attempts during the time you've owned your bike it perhaps stands to reason that those few (3) times you had a "hard starting problem" it was probably something you did, eh?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote