View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 03:14 AM   #411
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,437
next morning we were up early!

so were some 'friends'...

so there was no sittin around for hours today... up and packed....

the eagles knew we were about to leave and had started circling for scraps...

and then we were gone....again..

first part of the day was a fast track... we headed north, and regouped at
the start of some aboriginal land...

it was while we were stopped here that UncleGra realised his bike was stuffed.....

well not that stuffed.... but was leaking oil from the front sprocket....

anyway a bit of fidling, bashing, swearing, pointing and a wee, and all
was deemed well and we entered a prescribed area..

track started to wind around a bit from here, was still a fair track, but pretty
rocky in places, and a resonable dusting of sand in others...

oh and a few gates thrown in for good measure..

did i mention gates..?

we had another regroup at Santa Teresa..

we'd been loosly trying to work out where we'd camp tonight at each regroup..

but now we'd got so close to Alice Springs, Uncle Graham had made up our minds for us...

we were goin thru to Alice, getting a cabin in a caravaqn park, havin a hot shower and a mixed grill....!

Aub and i didnt take much convincing...

we waved goodby to Santa Teresa and fanged it the 80kms to Alice...

the road was supposedly better.. well a solid line on a map instead of dots... and there were 2wd vehicles on it....
but by gawd it was crap.... rocks pushed into clay sorta stuff...

anyhow, we got to Alice and regrouped again on the side of the Highway... Graham had a caravan park in mind,
but when we rolled up, they were booked out... ditto for the one over the road...

i pulled up a couple on the GPS and we headed to anotherone on the other side of town..

all good, $90-ish bucks.... sweet...

we rolled in to our home for the night, not really taking any notice of the big security
gate out front, more concerned with beers, hot water, steak, and the masses of Finke bikes
and buggies that were also staying in the park with us...

we were well overdue for a cold beer, and reception sold em... figured i'd get 6, Graham was up for 6 too, Aub wanted a dozen...
I organised some cash and went back for a beer run while the others started unpackin...

'Can i get a slab of beer please..?'

the reply came.. 'i can only sell you 6..'

wt...

then had it explained to me...kinda... the drinkin rules in the Northern Teritory..

so i asked for 6...

'got some i.d and your key..?'

huh?

can only sell it to you if you're stayin in the park...

so i pulled out the key, and my license.. the details of which she started writing down...

huh?

and was told 'theres a limit to how much you can buy in a day' (or was it a week..? cant remember..)

so i got 6 loose cans, no bag... and stumbled off to the cabin without droping any...

Aub looked mighty disapointed... told the lads they could only sell me 6...

Aub grabbed some cash back and headed for the shop...

'hang on mate...you'll need this' i said chuckin him the key....

huh?.....

so we unpacked, and showered....

how good is a hot shower after 10 days on the road!

so a few beers and a shower later, belly's started to let us know it was tea time...

we werent gonna ride into town... and none of us were very keen on walkin in... so a taxi was ordered..

funny, i wasnt expecting the same sort of taxi driver you'd get in melbourne or adelaide out here in Alice springs...

His engrish wasnt too bad... but didnt really know too much about town...

we told him to take us into town, to a reasonably popular pub where we could get a feed..

So we got dropped off at a 'themed' pub...and hit the beers...

grabbed the menu... yep, mixed grill on the menu... put the menu down... ordered another beer..

we ordered 3 mixed grills, and since it had crocodile and a few other things in it we figured we'd be civilised
and got a table..

the waiter rolled out with our tea... put the plates down on the table... and all out faces dropped....

smallest, lamest freakin mixed grill you've ever seen....

we contemplated ordering another... but decided to go get a pizza instead....

found a pizza place a few doors down and ordered... and got directions to a bottle shop...
walked a few blocks to find it closed.... walked a few more blocks and found another one... closed..

boody hell..

went back and picked up pizza.. and ducked back to our first pub... asked if we could get some take-away beers...nope....

bloody hell..

figured we might have 3 or 4 beers left back at the cabin, we piled into a taxi and headed back...

only to find that bloody big security gate shut... and locked... and since we were taxi-ing, we didnt have a key... whoops...

whos idea was it to come to Alice Springs anyway...!

so after contemplating, and ruling out climbing it, and waiting to see if anyone else
happened to rock up with a key, we discoved a buzzer...

a grumpy woman answered and said she'd be 10 mins....

eventually we got back to our cabin, and there was a couple of beers left... probably lucky we couldnt get more...cos we
would have drunk them...

anyway, after 10 days we were kinda buggered, i found me earplugs and we all bombed out for a night of luxury....

next morning was time to say our goodbyes...

Aub was first off, he was gonna gun it out the Great Central road, down to Kalgoorlie and then either
slab it back across the bite, or, depending on time, hit the railway track...

Great meeting and riding with you Aub...
(is this the worst pic i've ever taken!?)

UnclaGra wasnt in quite as much of a hurry, but was off shortly after Aub.. he was heading out east,
up cattlewater pass, then east into Queensland and down thru NSW home..

And another great bloke and riding partner hits the road..

never even met those 2 top blokes before this ride... but i'll be ridin with them again...

Thanks lads......!

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote