View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #32900
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Thats the idea, unless an 11th hour buyer comes through. Or the first step of parting her out, depending on how the motor's compression check goes if I get to it this afternoon after the Super Bowl.

First things first, I'm going to throw up some tarps to make my work area a little more enclosed and hopefully a few degrees warmer. The weather's currently ranging from -10 to +10F, and I'm hoping I can at least get to freezing with some tarps up to block off the space and a small space heater running outside. So glad I don't have to pay for electric here... Not gonna lie, Denmah's my inspiration to just get to work and not bitch about the weather.

Suspension: Forks are going to Go-Race Suspension in Virginia for a complete revalve and rebuild. I've ridden a bike with their work done and it was excellent.

Wheels: Replaced the rear wheel bearings today (which is what got me started). Either going to stay with the 17" X wheels, or go back to a 21"/18" setup, or both...

Motor: 1st step, check the compression. If its healthy, I'm more or less going to leave it alone. The clutch is definitely on the worn side, so I'll be replacing the friction and clutch plates at least. If the motor isn't healthy... I'm not sure. Leaning towards sending the whole top of the motor to Thumper Racing for a big bore kit with head work.

Misc: I'm going to strip the GPS wiring and consolidate the wiring for the FMF programmer, heated gear lead, and heated grips. I might go back to a DRC tail light instead of the stock whale tail. I'm planning to do lot more trail riding and possibly some track riding, so its time to get a set of fat bars and beefier hand guards. All of its current luggage is going away as its worn out, might get rid of the rear rack, and possibly just replace the tank bag. Its also time to replace the brake lines and brake pads, ensure the calipers are working right, etc. Also time for new clutch and throttle cables, if only for the mileage.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote