View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #34
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Oddometer: 183
Day 6 D2D 2012 (calm before the storm)

June 21 thurs

Beautiful outside, warm & sunny. Slept in this morning, no rush to do anything, was happy about my room, was $90 for the night & small(most I've paid so far), but Dawson is a certified tourist trap. Did all my laundry in the sink Walked & got a coffee along the main drag in town. Was a busy little town this weekend. Great people watching...Tourists, RV/campers & hippies. It was summer solstice...I have no problem with hippies, I'm just jealous.
Stopped at the the town info center, talked to a pretty girl & she said if your with D2D, you want to check out these local dirtroads in the klondike & gave me a map. I had to pack up & move across town anyways & figured I would take a leisurely cruise before setting up camp.
* I did look over the photos I had taken on my camera, & was not happy, 20+ pics of bears & other wildlife were just blurry, so I wasn't crazy about taking pics.
Figured I'd be gone for an hour....3 hrs & 80mi later I returned to town. Rode around on some dirtroads in the klondike & saw some mining operations. Got totally lost for a bit since there was just random dirt roads all over,car gps was useless, was just gonna do a loop. Came up on a full mining operation, sleuthbox running & being loaded & workers all around, I got outta there quick, looked back at the workers, they knew I was lost. Later found out, that area is where a lot of the Goldrush TV series is filmed on History channel.
I met Greg when I tried to get a camping spot the first night & we hung out while I was in Dawson.
He had a newer KLR that already had a 680kit in it & custom monster aluminium panniers, he rode up from Kamloops BC.
pic courtesy of Greg
Him & his steed (not at Dawson)

My home for two days
*notice all the campsite numbers are on old dredging buckets. My new neighbors just rode up from texas

Her ADV handle was Msbehave, she rode a Kawi Versys & her man Andy(I think!?) had a brand new Super Tenere. They shared their site with the "Two Moto Kiwis"(there RR is still going).

the campground was a party in itself, good thing I booked my site in January

Talked to this Ak guy with the V-strom 1000 & his friend a few times. He lived in Wi as a kid & still has family in Fund du Lac. He kept calling me "wisconsin guy". Him & his friend always had a PBR in there hand at the campground. Milwaukees finest

downtown was full of adv bikes thurs eve, went out to eat, everyone was talking bikes

I was all about keeping the kickstand down at this point.
A lot of tourists were trying the "Sour toe cocktail" when I stopped at the downtown hotel, Its just a shot of whiskey with a old human toe in it...hmm, no thanks. I didn't make it in Diamond tooth Geries for a show & I don't gamble. Was too busy talking with all the Canadians & Alaskans.

AJ990R screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 06:43 PM
AJ990R is offline   Reply With Quote