View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #1167
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Unfortunately that means you have to stop at each one of the stations you come to if you have a 140 mile range. I suspect what people are thinking but haven't quite articulated is that it's nice to be able to pass a gas station out west without stopping. Each time I have ridden out west I have done so on a bike with 200+ mile range, and each time I have found myself in a situation where I was a little nervous about where the next station may be. It's easy enough to plan around it, but it takes effort. If you are the type of rider who tends to drift, as many ADV types are, then it can be a bit of a nuisance to ride for an hour and a half then have to start worrying about fuel.
true dat! and sometimes the gas isn't where it was supposed to be. I was running low in Iowa a couple years back, planned to get gas at the next exit - but the exit was closed. The next two exits were also closed. I made it to a pump, though. On the way back thru Wyoming, three little towns in a row where the only place to buy gas was either out of business or closed by the time I got there. I made it to a pump, just as the proprieter was shutting down for the day.

But you can plan for these things. To me a small gas tank is not really a problem for travel. Just carry a couple gallons of extra gas, just in case. Where it would be a problem is having to fill up the bike every time I rode it. In any case, it's not a deal breaker.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote