View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #2881
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I still don't get why they go to all the trouble to make and import non-abs bikes in the middleweight category.
I can't say for sure, but I'd guess that it has to with meeting a price point. For the most part it seems that in the middleweight category the biggest buyers are newer riders and those that are very price conscious. The suspension componentry chosen for use in this category also reflects this market direction. The manufacturers probably feel that ABS's added cost wouldn't be well received by the core group of potential buyers in this market segment.

Personally, while I do appreciate the potential benefits of ABS, and did choose to pay the added cost when I purchased my GS (it was an option), I don't let the absence of ABS keep me from a bike I otherwise enjoy. If available, I may take it, but it's not a deciding factor for me. I fact. I've gotten two new bikes since buying the GS, and neither of them have it.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote