View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #1198
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
My worry WRT the Honda is that I still think the MSRP is overpriced for this particular niche. The Bonnie/Scrambler/T100 line MSRP between $7500 and $8900, the Guzzi V7 is around $8300 and the HD Sportys start around $7500. That puts the CB between $1000 and $1500 higher than any of its competitors.

And of course, you can argue that it's "more bike" with its bigger motor, 4 cyl vs. 2, and more HP, and I wouldn't disagree, but the question that has to be asked is whether the person who is in the market for a retro bike will value those things over look & feel.

What I don't know about Honda is the relationship between MSRP and actual dealer price. With a lot of consumer products, the "MSRP" is meaningless, it's set artificially high by the manufacturer so the dealer can then offer great "discounts" on the product that aren't really discounts at all (like a car with an MSRP of $20,000 that sells everywhere for $17,500.) If I understand the market, "boutique bike" brands like Triumph and Guzzi stick pretty close to the MSRP because their market is much smaller.

So, a Honda "MSRP" of $10k might simply mean "if this is a red-hot seller, we will charge full MSRP or maybe even a little more, but if the market response is lukewarm we can sell them OTD for $9k and still make a profit."
Like I said before I had a 2003 Bonneville, T 100 but I had to put Triumph TOR pipes on it just to hear it for $450, a grab rail $250, and a centerstand $ 250. The basic bike was $8000 but I had to put an additional thou in it and it was still a 790 cc twin cylinder with 58 HP and a single disc front brake. For $10 k on the Honda you get a 4 cylinder liter bike with a centerstand, and 87 HP and double disc front brakes.

With regards to the Moto Guzzi my issues are no dealer network, again a single disc front and no centerstand. Rider recently tested a 2013 Stone and it only dyno'd 43 HP. They also said it had a lousy transmission with many missed shifts. Retail $8390.

Although not a retro, the BMW F 700GS Enduro is a 798 cc twin with a dual front disc, the centerstand is optional and its base price is the same as the CB 1100s at $ 9990.

Id rather have the CB 1100!
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote